The Dryer

Honestly, does anyone ever “tumble dry low”? Or even “medium”? My dryer is always set to the timed “high heat”. Whenever I use any other setting, the clothes don’t dry all the way.

This entry was posted in Ramblings. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The Dryer

And how much is your electric bill?

2. Andy Slaughter says:

Hey, it could be worse. My appliances don’t even really work.

That’s a good question, Eric. Looks like it has averaged $60 per month through this last year. Sadly enough, last year’s average was $46 per month.

4. Andy Slaughter says:

Oh, Happy 30th, BTW.

5. Kari says:

Ours is always on low. If I use medium or high, it shrinks things. Sometimes I have to run it more than once, but I’d rather do that than have my clothes no longer fit.

6. julie says:

Same… only thing I use the dryer for is towels and stuff, I can’t afford to lose length on anything… and in the summer we don’t use it at all… $$$ and all.

Roger is too “sophisticated” to use a clothes line. 😈

What is the possibility that running the clothes through the dryer twice on low heat uses the same energy as running it through once on high heat? Then, it also takes more time to do your laundry. When there are multiple piles waiting to be done, you don’t want to have to run something through the dryer multiple times. Things that will shink in the dryer should be labeled as such, and I do “reshape and dry flat” the thing whose tags call for such treatment.

And yes, clotheslines suck. I hate hard clothes.

9. Kari says:

There are things that say “tumble dry low.” (Most of my things say that.) That means they will shrink on higher heat. I try not to have a laundry day, but to do a load here and there so it doesn’t pile up. Then I don’t have multiple piles waiting to be done.

My laundry system works for me, what can I say? I’m glad yours works for you, but I can’t dry my pants on high heat because I need them to be able to fit.

(In fact, an aunt gave me some that were a size too big, but she got them on clearance so I couldn’t return them. I dried them on high heat and now they fit. So I’m not making this up.)

10. Kari says:

PS – I am sure it does use more energy, but it uses less heat, which is my main concern. Two times through on low does not have the same shrinkage effect as one time through on medium or high.

I wish I did laundry more regularly like you. :yes: