The Red Cross Wants You!

I had to give blood last Thursday. Wow, I’m really on the ball getting these things published. Anyway, I had to because I didn’t want to be a liar.

Here’s the thing: I drive by the Red Cross every night on my way home, unless for some reason I decide to drive through town. I’m not really a “through town” person. I don’t like stoplights every couple thousand feet, and my car has a history of stalling. Back to the story.

I get out of work at 6 PM, so on most nights the Red Cross is closed. On Thursday nights, however, they are open until 7 PM. Just about every Thursday when I drive by I say to myself, “If Krissy wasn’t expecting me to come right home, I’d stop in to give blood.” My intention has been, for quite some time, to tell her some day, “Hey, if I don’t come right home on Thursday night, it’s because I’m giving blood.” Naturally, I forget to ever tell her that, so next Thursday I drive right by the Red Cross again. I’m rather bad at remembering little things that I don’t write down.

Enter last Thursday. Krissy went out to dinner with a friend. That left me driving toward the Red Cross saying to myself, “If Krissy wasn’t expecting me to come straight home…wait a minute…she’s out to dinner!” I was compelled to slow down and turn into the Red Cross. It had been many years since I had given blood and I was a little nervous because I had, in fact, passed out before afterward. When all was said and done, though, I made it through just fine.

The moral of the story, I guess, is that you shouldn’t say you’re going to do something if you have no intention of doing it. Not even if you’re just talking to yourself. I guess that’s not exactly my personal moral, since I do like giving blood…not the act, but the end result. I guess the moral for me personally is that your word is your honor, even if you are only talking to yourself. If you can’t be honest with yourself, relationships with others will be even more difficult.

This entry was posted in Ramblings. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Red Cross Wants You!

1. Chris says:

Nicely done, Roger! I haven’t donated blood for a year or so; they come to my workplace regularly for drives, but it seems like several times in a row I’ve had a cold or some other little sickness.

I donated quite often in college, and they knew how to make it work there; you got a free t-shirt when you donated. I just threw out the last of those t-shirts last year. (Gotta love free shirts!)

2. Cousin dave says:

Good for you Roger! I donate alot (except when i get more ink). It is a low level production contribution to mankind that matters.. Free cookies and juice is good too!

Chris: I usually think of a reason not to do it as well. One of the screening questions is “are you feeling well today?” A lot of the time I excuse myself on that one without even going in, though I’m probably fine.

Dave: You. Da. Man.

4. *daniel says:

I’ve actually never donated blood, though the mall five minutes away has a CBS depo… I should go.

*dan

I have once. Plan on again in the next month or so.

The local Red Cross (where Roger went) has different sweepstakes going on (one entry per blood donation). And thursdays is usually cookie day… fridays are pizza day. Or maybe Wednesday is pizza day? Can’t remember.

But it’s kinda fun to go get some food for free (well, paid for in blood I guess).

My work has blood drives, we usually have a competition with a local PD or other corrections facility. The last drive I was unable to donate since I had an “exposure”. Though I was driving with my family, on a day that I had taken off as a family day, and the local movie theatre had a blood drive going on. They also have them regularly but it is usually when I am working, damn them!!! Well anyway I took my wife and kids home, ate lunch and then went to give blood. I got juice, cookies, and two free movie passes and in my book that beats t-shirts anyday!!!

I only did it out of principle, not expecting anything in return, though there were cookies there that day.

Hopefully this current sickness wasn’t hiding in my bloodstream last Thursday.